Monday, April 21, 2014

Play Dough!

I feel like I've posted about playdough before... but my memory is disintegrating with motherhood combined with my old age... so I'm not quite sure! Any who, here is potentially another post about playdough or a new post about playdough!

This is my go to recipe for Kool-Aid Playdough! I've tried quite a few and this one is the BEST! It will also last a good few weeks stored in a ziplock in the fridge. I've also attached a sheet about the awesomo benefits of playing with playdough. I created this handout a couple years ago and since I went through the hassle of making it, I might as well share it with you folk!

Here are also a couple tips on making the playdough or even baking/cooking in general with your little monsters!
1. Break down your recipe! So if your recipe calls for one cup of water- use a 1/4cup measure and let them do it 4 times! This allows them to practice measuring, scooping, pouring... all that good stuff! Some recipes have a lot of adult steps, so it makes them feel like they are doing lots! This is especially important if you have more than one monster helping you. This gives everyone a chance to help do something!
2. This playdough recipe calls for boiling hot water... which is obviously an adult step. But I always use it as an opportunity to teach the monsters about hot/cold. I like to point out the steam which is a good indicator that something is hot. I tell them it's very hot and take their hand and quickly tap the side of the kettle so they can actually feel that it is hot. Once the playdough comes together, it is still a bit hot to the touch... so I will encourage them to poke at it so they have that sensory experience!
3. Since this playdough is made with Kool-Aid, it not only becomes a nice color... it smells sooooooo good!! Encourage your monsters to smell it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment